Halliwick Disability Programme
LeisureWorld has a dedicated disability and accessibility officer Joanne Lenihan who researches best practice and exercise options for all
Disability accessibility program in LeisureWorld Bishopstown
The over all aim of the LeisureWorld disability program is to increase the physically activity level of people who have disabilities and to enhance there over all health and well being.
LeisureWorld's Long terms goals for the program.
- To increase participation in physical activity whether it is for recreation or leisure
- To provide people the opportunity to socialise
- To provide people with information on whether it be for health or well being
- To help break down the barriers that prevents people with disabilities from participating in physical activity.
- Entry to the 25 m can be accessed by the ladder or hoist.
- Entry to the 18 meter can access by the steps or hoist.
- LeisureWorld Bishopstown has a disabled shower and changing facility available for use.
- We can offer swimming lessons weather it be for individual who can swim all ready or who can not.
- For people who feel that mainstream method swimming would not work for person with disability.
HALLIWICK SWIMMING PROGRAMME
LeisureWorld Leisure Centre Bishopstown is delighted to provide an alternative - The Halliwick Swimming Programme - which involves developing person physical mental and social abilities. Swimmer is paired with an instructor this allow s the swimmer to have continues support and attention. This allows then to develop there own confidence and there own balance in the water. (Cited from http://www.halliwick.org.uk/html/concept.htm) The Halliwick Swimming Asscociation of Ireland are in the process of setting up their own website, if you would like information on Irelands Halliwick Association then contact LeisureWorld.
The swimming lessons will be taught by fully qualified ASA swim teacher and Halliwick instructor at our swimming pool in Cork. Joanne has received her foundation certificate, advanced Halliwick certificate and her Halliwick instructors certificate.
- 1 to 1 (with carer present) €25 30 mins
- 2 to 1 (with carer present) €40 45 mins
- 3 to 1 (with carers present) € 50 45 mins
- 4 to 1 (with carers present) €60 45 mins
You can contact Joanne Lenihan on 021 4346505 or firstname.lastname@example.org